Job Title: State Library Information Center Director
Salary Range: D32
Department: The New Jersey State Library
Location: 185 West State Street Trenton, NJ 08618
The New Jersey State Library, affiliated with Thomas Edison State University, connects people with information and resources through its service to NJ libraries, the state legislature and government employees, Thomas Edison State University staff and students, and registered borrowers. Thomas Edison State University provides distinctive undergraduate and graduate education for self-directed adults through flexible, high-quality, collegiate learning and assessment opportunities. One of New Jersey’s senior public institutions of higher education, the University offers associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees in more than 100 areas of study. At Thomas Edison State University and the New Jersey State Library we embrace a diverse and dynamic workforce that drives innovation, learner success and organizational growth. We welcome you to apply to be a part of our team.
The State Library Information Center Director (SLIC Director) serves in an agency-wide leadership role at the New Jersey State Library, with a particular focus on managing the State Library Information Center, the agency’s direct-service state government library. In this role, you will lead a team of 30+ staff (4 FTE direct reports) in providing high quality research and reference services to state government employees, researchers, Thomas Edison State University (TESU) students and members of the public.
SLIC divisions are Reference Services, Technical Services, and the Law Library. The SLIC Director also supervises librarian(s) at stand-alone state agency libraries with an MOU with the State Library.
The SLIC collection reflects specialties in New Jersey (Jerseyana), law, genealogy and federal and state government documents. SLIC is a Candid Library (Formerly Foundation Center). Digitized collections include New Jersey State Publications Digital Library, Digital Jerseyana Collection, and New Jersey Digital Collections Highlights. The library participates in the Digital Public Library of America; digital collections are an area of growth for the library. Interlibrary loan is provided to patrons. Aspects of the collection also support the academic degree programs at Thomas Edison State University.
The policies, practices, and actions developed by the SLIC Director affect direct library services to state employees and officials, other libraries, researchers and the staff and students of TESU.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institute is required. An ALA Accredited master’s degree in a related field (eg. Library Science, Information Science, Library and Information Science) is preferred. Relevant experience in library or related settings may substitute for master’s degree.
A minimum of five years progressively responsible professional experience in library management at a public, academic or special library or a combination of library types. May include but is not limited to service as the head/chair of a department, library director or associate/assistant library director or program director, for example.
Examples of Work:
- Organizes, plans and directs the activities of the State Library Information Center; sets goals, plans and implements work programs and develops department and unit policies and procedures in accordance with TESU and State Library policies and goals, and translates them into policies and operating practices.
- Serve as the librarian-in-charge during the extended absence of the State Librarian, including the referral of issues to other subject matter experts on staff for research and solution.
- Plans, implements, and maintains a broad, general collection of organized materials as well as collections in the specialized subject areas of law, New Jersey documents, U. S. documents, New Jersey history, genealogy, rare materials, and grants for non-profit organizations (Foundation Collection).
- Supervises the staff and directs work operations, develops performance standards, reviews and conducts performance evaluations, provides guidance and counsel to staff and approves personnel actions within the department including promotions, hiring and disciplinary actions in accordance with university policies, collective bargaining agreements and state regulations.
- Evaluates program goals, operations and performance; as required, develops and implements alternative procedures to improve performance and meet the program objectives.
- Consults with and seeks approval from the supervisor on the most unusual problems or policy matters.
- Directs planning and implementation of public relations activities for the State Library Information Center that will stimulate improved and extended services to state employees and officials.
- Functions as liaison to Thomas Edison State University academic staff for cooperation with program accreditation pertaining to library services.
- Ensures that the State Library Information Center's web site has content that is meaningful, up-to-date and accurate.
- Ensures that library branches located at other state agencies are staffed and operating according to the Memorandums of Understanding.
- Develops and monitors the department's budget; reviews and approves or disapproves all requests for expenditures.
- Coordinates training and professional development for State Library Information Center staff.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and cooperative working relationships with State Library and College administrators, faculty and staff, government and private agencies, libraries and/or the public in order to accomplish the goals and objectives of the department.
- Maintains integrity and appropriate confidentiality in TESU and program operations.
- Represents the State Library or TESU at conferences, seminars, workshops and meetings as required.
- Prepares and supervises the preparation of detailed correspondence.
- Serves on ad hoc and standing committees as required.
- Directs the establishment and the maintenance of essential records and files.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
• Establish cooperative working relationships with other offices or organizations that impact or relate to the work of the department
• Develop and administer procedures which ensure the appropriate confidentiality of program records and activities
• Establish cooperative and productive working relationships with supervisors and staff
• Develop, administer and monitor the department and library materials budget
• Develop and recommend State Library and department policies
• Develop long and short-range plans and goals for the department
• Represent the State Library at conference, seminars, workshops and meetings
• Research library administration, policies and best practices
• Reference services in a research library with special collections
• Digital collection development and management
• Human resources management in a collective bargaining environment
• Excellent oral and written communication.
• Leadership of individuals and teams
• Contract negotiation
• Identify emerging opportunities for collection investment
NOTE: As a condition of employment, you are required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination. If you are unable to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for medical or religious reasons, you will be required to submit a waiver request.
How to Apply:
Resumes and applications for this position will only be accepted online through ADP Workforce Now at https://workforcenow.adp.com/public/index.htm by logging into your established account, and selecting the MYSELF tab > TALENT > CAREER CENTER.
The New Jersey State Library, an affiliate of Thomas Edison State University, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.