WHO WE ARE:
The South Carolina State Library (SCSL) serves the people of South Carolina by supporting state government and libraries to provide opportunities for learning in a changing environment. We develop, support, and sustain a thriving statewide community of learners committed to making South Carolina stronger.
If you are looking for an organization that offers the following, then South Carolina State Library is the organization for you!
- a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- an excellent Work Culture
- paid professional Memberships
- professional development and learning opportunities for staff
- tuition assistance
- an opportunity to work with professionals that are passionate about delivering exceptional results and advancing the mission and vision of their organization
We have a great career opportunity available for a Library Collections and Services Director in our Columbia, South Carolina headquarters.
The Library Collections and Services Director will lead our library collections and services department in alignment with the agency’s mission, goals, and strategic directions. The library collections and services department is comprised of library staff responsible for providing library services to patrons, and acquiring and making materials available. This position is responsible for overseeing the library functions of the South Carolina State Library, to include research assistance, circulation, acquisitions, cataloging, and digitization.
WHAT WE BELIEVE:
We outwardly demonstrate who we are as an organization through our values. Our people are our greatest resource and our values drive our people.
- Communication: We believe communication in every direction and through multiple methods is essential to doing our work at the highest level. As an information organization, we use a transparent process for decision making which encourages creativity and fosters collaboration among staff and our community.
- Flexibility: An agile organization is one that can change course to provide better services. We define our organization in this way and pride ourselves in being good stewards of all resources.
- Community Driven: Our community is the state. Our value is demonstrated in what we are able to give back as public servants. We believe that by remaining open to our community’s needs, we can personalize experiences for individuals and groups.
- Inclusivity: We strive to expand opportunities to better connect with others and break down barriers. Integrity, respect, and equality guide our performance and we are committed to hiring staff that reflect our community.
- Professionalism: Our staff model professionalism by providing a welcoming environment, excellent customer service, valuing diversity, and supporting multiple methods of service delivery. A well-trained and knowledgeable staff is our greatest asset.
- Supervise employees by applying management principles according to South Carolina State Library policy and procedures.
- Complete performance management timely and accurately and monitoring employee progress towards goal attainment.
- Communicate expectations and provide feedback to assist employees with performance improvement, professional development, and skills/competency development.
- Coordinate and implement public services to library patrons including but not limited to circulation, interlibrary loan, ready reference, and research assistance.
- Responsible for department’s promotion and outreach activities related to the library services and resources offered by the South Carolina State Library.
- Coordinate the selection, budgeting, and approval of materials for the collection in both print and electronic titles, including acquisitions, cataloging, and physical processing of items.
- Oversee the South Carolina state documents depository system, including acquiring both physical and digital items from state agencies and participation with state documents depository libraries.
- Oversee the State Library’s participation and compliance as a selective federal documents depository library in the acquisition of both print and electronic items.
- Serve a primary contact for digitization support to public libraries and other state partners.
- Serve a primary representative of the South Carolina State Library on the South Carolina Digital Library Advisory Board.
Are you Qualified?
- A bachelor’s degree and professional experience related to the position.
- A masters' degree in library science from an American Library Association accredited college or university.
- Ten (10) years professional library experience.
- Five (5) years supervisory experience, supervisory experience critical.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage project activities through the supervision of subordinate staff.
- Ability to develop, implement, and monitor departmental and project budgets.
- Familiarity with best practices in the areas of collection development and library public services.
- Knowledge of current digital collections technologies, standards, platforms, and products.
Hiring Range: $49,594 - $70,674
Need more reasons to apply?
SCSL is committed to providing our employees with a collaborative and inclusive work environment that provides challenging work, personal and professional growth, and a work/life balance.
In addition to all the great perks we’ve already shared, we also offer:
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, and more
- 15 days of annual leave per year
- 15 days of sick leave per year
- 13 paid holidays
- Team Building Activities – We believe in growing together
Don’t miss this great opportunity to take your career to the next level! Apply today.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age (over 40), sex, including pregnancy and childbirth (or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
How to Apply:
All applications must be submitted online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/sc/jobs/3026361/library-collections-and-services-director?department=State%20Library&sort=PositionTitle%7CAscending&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
South Carolina State Library
1500 Senate Street
Columbia, SC 29201